Resolution 48-04: Virtual Assemblies
Proposed by: DAVID A. GRINDLE, PGIM, ID; WILLIAM G. SNYDER, PGIM, MO; G THOMAS TAYLOR III, PGIM DE
STATEMENT OF THE SPONSORS FOR RESOLUTION 48-04
Background: This is the result of another observation of strict construction of our laws:
While the precedent has been set by the General Grand Chapter and General Grand Council both holding Virtual Triennial Sessions during the pandemic crisis, it also has become clear that there are benefits to our voting membership when virtual means can be for selected matters such as Cryptic education or distribution of organizational information. Additionally, by providing specifically for Virtual Assemblies, we are insuring that future General Grand Councils have all available options in the event of new crisis such as a new world pandemic, catastrophic weather events or seismic event, or the occurrence of military conflicts.
The following changes would be made to Article VIII Assemblies, Section A:
Proposed to Read:
- TYPES – The Meetings of this General Grand Council shall be as follows:
- TRIENNIAL ASSEMBLIES – The General Grand Council shall meet in Triennial Assemblies at such time and place as shall be determined by the General Grand Master, or in case of his incapacity, then the Deputy General Grand Master shall make the determination.
- SPECIAL ASSEMBLIES – The General Grand Master and the Deputy General Grand Master shall have the authority to call a Special Assembly of the General Grand Council whenever and wherever they consider it expedient or necessary, and it shall be their further duty to do so when properly requested by a majority of the Grand Councils, of which three (3) months notice shall be stated in the call and no business other than that for which it is called shall be transacted.
- OCCASIONAL ASSEMBLES – The General Grand Master may call an Occasional Assembly for the purpose of participating in Masonic Ceremonies or for special occasions. There shall be no business conducted or acted on at any occasional assembly.
- VIRTUAL/ELECTRONIC ASSEMBLIES – Triennial, Special and Occasional Assemblies may be conducted using technology to facilitate virtual/electronic assemblies by unanimous decision of the Board of Trustees and due notice to the voting membership. Electronic means for all balloting and votes shall also be permitted in any Assemblies by unanimous decision of the Board of Trustees with due notice to the voting membership. No Cryptic Ritual will be used without due safeguards and unanimous approval of the Board of Trustees.