David A. Grindle
Most Puissant General Grand Master
David Alan Grindle was born on July 2, 1946, to Donald Edward and Geraldine Lou (Rolston) Grindle in Springfield, Clark County, Ohio. He lived in the same house for all but 13 days of 22 years. He graduated from Springfield Shawnee High School in 1964. He was one of five students who received sponsorships to General Motors Institute (GMI) (now Kettering University) in Flint, Michigan. His sponsor was Frigidaire Division of General Motors Corporation in Dayton, Ohio. He was enrolled in Electrical Engineering. While at GMI, David joined Eta Mu Chapter, Sigma Nu Fraternity which had a house in Flushing, Michigan. After two years, he felt he was being stifled in his work experiences and transferred schools. He became a student in the School of Education at Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio. He majored in Mathematics and minored in Physics. He graduated in 1968.
He accepted a Hardware Test Job at International Business Machine Corporation in Poughkeepsie, New York. He only worked there for 4 1/2 months when he received a draft notice from his Clark County, Ohio, Draft Board. While working during a 60-day delay, he was able to evade the draft by joining the United States Air Force. David began his military service on November 20, 1968. He retired as a Major, O-4, after 20 years as a Navigator/Weapons Systems Officer/Electronic Warfare Officer with over 2100 Flying hours in T-41, T-37, T-38, T/ET-29, EB-57, F-4C/D/E, and F/EF-111A. He was stationed mostly in the Western United States, and in Okinawa, Korea, and Germany.
After retiring, he worked as a substitute teacher for almost two years. Dave was then hired as an Information Technology Programmer Analyst for the Idaho Department of Water Resources. After 16 years, he retired in 2006 as an Information Technology Systems Integration Analyst.
He married Karen Gwen Schooler Frank in September 2001. Together, they have three (3) Adult children, David Edward Grindle, Tharrin Raymond Frank, and Heidi Lynn (Frank) Olson. They have nine Grandchildren and one Great-Grandson. They are members of Community United Methodist Church in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. They both participate in the choir.
Dave was raised as a Master Mason in Teikoku Lodge #19 of the Grand Lodge of Japan on December 30, 1974, as a courtesy for St Andrews Lodge #619 of the Grand Lodge of Ohio F&AM. He is an Endowed Member of St Andrews Lodge. He is a past member and Past Master of Elmore Lodge #30, Grand Lodge of Idaho. He affiliated and transferred his Life Membership to Capital City Lodge #93 in Boise, Idaho, and is twice Past Master. He is also a Life Member of Acacia Lodge #118, Grand Lodge of Oregon, and served one year as Senior Warden.
He served the Grand Lodge of Idaho as the Credentials Committee Chairman in 1997, 1998, and 2005; he also served on the Information Technology Committee in 2006-07. David served the Grand Lodge Of Idaho as District Deputy Grand Master of the 7th Masonic District from 1997-1999.
Dave was exalted as a Royal Arch Master in March 1994 in Mountain Home Chapter Royal Arch Masons #24. He served as High Priest in 1998. He became a Life Member of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of Idaho. He affiliated and transferred his Life Membership to Boise Chapter #3 where he was Excellent High Priest in 2007. He is also a Life Member of Anchorage Chapter #3, Anchorage, Alaska; Springfield Chapter #48, Springfield, Ohio; Zadoc Chapter #34, Ontario, Oregon; and Oriental Chapter #19, Seattle, Washington. He received the Order of High Priesthood in 1998 and was Excellent President in 2007-08.
He was appointed as the Excellent Grand Master of the 1st Veil of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of Idaho. In 2002, he was elected Grand Secretary of the Grand Chapter. He served as Grand High Priest in 2009-10. He was appointed as the General Grand Chapter Ambassador to Idaho for the Triennium of 2005-08.
Dave was Greeted a Select Master in 1994 in Idaho Council #1. He served as Illustrious Master in 1999 and became a Life Member. He was received into the Order of the Silver Trowel in 1999 and served as Thrice Illustrious Master in 2004. In 1999, he was appointed as the Grand Sentinel of the Grand Council of Cryptic Masons of Idaho. He advanced through the line until he was elected as Grand Recorder of the Grand Council in 2002. He served as Illustrious Grand Master of Idaho in 2005.
He is an Endowed Member of Springfield Council #17, Springfield, Ohio, and a Life Member of Anchorage Council #1, Anchorage, Alaska; Baker Council #16, Ontario, Oregon; and Seattle Council #6, Renton Washington.
He ran for the office of General Grand Recorder of the General Grand Council of Cryptic Masons, International, in 2006-08 and was elected and installed at the Triennial Assembly in Indianapolis, Indiana, in September 2008. He announced his candidacy for General Grand Master in 2015 and was elected and installed at the Triennial Assembly in Portland, Oregon, in August 2017.
Sir Knight David was knighted as a Knight of the Temple in 1994 in Idaho Commandery #1. He served as its Eminent Commander in 2000 and became a Life Member. He is also a Life Member of Anchorage Commandery #2, Anchorage, Alaska; Baker Commandery #9, Ontario, Oregon; and Marvin E. Fowler Commandery #7, Washington, District of Columbia. He is a member of Palestine Commandery #33, Springfield, Ohio.
He was appointed Eminent Grand Sentinel of the Grand commandery of Knights Templar of Idaho in 2000. He advanced through the line until he was elected Grand Recorder in 2002. He served as Grand Commander in 2007-08. Dave has served the Grand Commandery of Oregon as the District #6 Supervisor. He is the Senior Warden of the Oregon Past Commander’s Association. He is a charter member and a Past Preceptor (2006-07) of the Idaho Chapter of Knights Preceptor. He currently is the Deputy Grand Preceptor of the Grand Chapter of the Sovereign Order of Knights Preceptor.
He served as Grand Commandery Coordinator for the Grand Encampment in 2009-11.
Other Masonic Affiliations
Dave has the following other Masonic and Non-Masonic Affiliations:
- St. Michael Conclave, Red Cross of Constantine, Past Sovereign and Recorder
- Idaho Priory #13, Knights of the York Cross of Honour, Past Prior, and Registrar
- Redemption Tabernacle No. XL, Holy Royal Arch Knight Templar Priests, Past Preceptor, Knight Commander, and Registrar
- Tri-Valley York Rite College #178, York Rite Sovereign College of North America, Past Governor, Life Member, Recipient of the Order of the Purple Cross, Associate Regent, Grand Governor of Idaho
- Sovereign Grand Master’s Council A, Allied Masonic Degrees of the United States of America, Past Sovereign Master and member of Royal Order of the Red Branch of Eri.
- Member of Puget Sound Council #5, Royal Ark Mariner, moored to Pacific Council #10, Allied Masonic Degrees
- National Sojourners, Willamette Valley Chapter #529 and Spokane Chapter #102, Member in Perpetuity.
- Past Wise Master, Bois Chapter Rose Croix, Valley of Boise, Idaho, Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction, Knight of St Andrews, Life Member.
- Member of the Valley of Coeur d’Alene, AASR, SJ.
- Member of the Valley of Dayton, AASR, NJ
- Member of Columbine Order #118, Order of the Sword of Bunker Hill. Charter Honorable Grand Commander-in-Chief of Syringa Order #121, Order of the Sword of Bunker Hill, Life Member.
- Intermountain Chapel #27, Commemorative Order of St Thomas of Acon, Worthy Master. Provincial Grand Marshall of Northwest Province.
- Member of Great Chief’s Council 0, Knight Masons of the United States of America, Life Member
- Member, IX°, of Supreme Magus College, S.R.I.C.F., Life Member
- Salish Court No. 96, Province of the United States, Masonic Order of Athelstan, Issaquah, Washington. Marshal
- Member of Red Star Lodge No. 205, Knights of Pythias, Springfield, Ohio